LEXUS DESIGN AWARD 2020 IS AN OPEN COMPETITION. NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO PARTICIPATE. SIX FINALISTS ARE DETERMINED SOLELY ON THE BASIS OF THEIR DESIGNS. BY PARTICIPATING IN THE COMPETITION, YOU AGREE TO THE OFFICIAL RULES WRITTEN BELOW. PLEASE READ THE RULES CAREFULLY BEFORE SUBMITTING YOUR ENTRIES. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW.
1. Competition Period
Lexus Design Award 2020 opens August 1st, 2019 at 10:00 a.m. and closes on October 14th, 2019, 23:59 p.m. (CET). Qualifying entries (the “Entry” / “Entries”) must be received during this period at the Lexus Design Award 2020 website https://lexusdesignaward.awardsplatform.com. Please note that the dates of Lexus Design Award 2020 may be extended at the sole discretion of Lexus International (the “Organizer”). The Organizer and its affiliates are not responsible for lost, misdirected, tapered with or undelivered entries. Entries submitted with incomplete or inaccurate information may be disqualified.
- 2. Entry Steps
- Read and understand the Official Rules and other requirements and facts stated on Lexus Design Award 2020 Website.
- Submit the Lexus Design Award 2020 registration form.
- Select a log-in password for entry. Lexus Design Award 2020 is not responsible for unauthorized access to an entrant’s account, so please create a strong password and keep it secure.
- Submit entries. There is no limit to the number of entries per person.
Lexus Design Award 2020 is open to professional, amateur and student designers (the “Entrant(s)”) from any country or region in the world.
Entrants must be adults (determined by the age of majority in their place of residence) by the conclusion of the competition period.
Those not eligible to participate in Lexus Design Award 2020 include:
- Persons without legal standing in their place of residence
- Employees of Toyota Motor Corporation, The Organizer and their respective affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, and distributors
- Family members of employees of Toyota Motor Corporation, The Organizer and their respective affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, and distributors
- Anyone living in the same household with an employee of Toyota Motor Corporation, The Organizer and their respective affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, and distributors
4. Content Guidelines and Disclaimers
- Entries must be submitted at the Lexus Design Award 2020 website. There is no limit on the number of entries per person.
- Entries must be submitted in English only. Any entry with incomplete, inaccurate or incomprehensible information may be disqualified at the sole discretion of The Organizer.
- Entrants may submit work previously submitted to other competitions only if the work has not won any previous awards.
- File upload requirements are at https://lexusdesignaward.awardsplatform.com.
- Work deemed offensive, abusive or threatening on the grounds of race, ethnicity, gender or sexual preference will be disqualified.
- Work that is libelous, vulgar, obscene, or violent; or work that depicts or involves physical harm to any person or animal will be disqualified.
- All work must be the Entrant’s wholly original creation (with the exception of material in the public domain). In the event that recorded music is used, the music must be composed and performed solely by the entrant; otherwise, the entry is subject to disqualification. By submitting the entry, the Entrant acknowledges that the entire work is his or her original creation and that no other person or entity has any right or claim to the work. Furthermore, the Entrant affirms that to the best of his or her knowledge the work does not infringe on copyrights, trademarks, moral rights, rights of privacy/publicity or intellectual property rights.
- Entries that contain brand names, trademarks or company logos may be disqualified.
- Any work that displays a watermark or artist signature may be disqualified.
- In the event that an Entry contains a virus, worm, Trojan horse, or any other corruptive code that harms the Lexus Design Award 2020 website, or damages the public image or reputation of The Organizer or Lexus Design Award 2020, the Entrant may be held responsible and prosecuted by law.
- All work will be judged on the following criteria:
ANTICIPATE: Does the concept and design anticipate not only the needs of the user experience, but the needs of society?
INNOVATE: Does the design demonstrate the new thinking and originality in its proposal and execution?
CAPTIVATE: Is the design intriguing and compelling when realized in concept and execution?
5. Intellectual Property and License
- Each Entrant will retain ownership rights to any work submitted to Lexus Design Award 2020.
- By submitting a work, the Entrant grants The Organizer and its affiliates the unlimited, royalty-free rights to publish and exhibit the work worldwide, including but not limited to the images depicted therein, for promotional and non-commercial purposes for an unlimited period of time. The rights are non-exclusive.
- If any submitted work has received third party sponsorship, whether of a technical, material or financial nature, the Entrant is obligated to reveal the sponsoring entity’s name and the conditions of the sponsorship to the Organizer.
- The Organizer has the right to make amendments, including but not limited to the addition of the LEXUS logo and text, the translation of text, the cropping or reframing of images, and the use of different colors, as long as the changes do not harm the integrity of the original work. In the event that major changes to the original work are desired, The Organizer will solicit the consent of the Entrant.
- By participating in Lexus Design Award 2020, the Entrant grants permission to the Organizer for his or her name and any prize information to be used for promotional purposes without additional compensation or notice in any media worldwide for an unlimited period of time.
- The Entrant acknowledges that the Organizer has sole discretion in deciding how or whether to use any and all Entries for promotional and non-commercial purposes.
- The Entrant acknowledges that his or her Entries may bear similarities to the work of other entrants, and in such a case, the Entrant will not be entitled to any compensation nor have the right to negotiate for any award or recognition based on said similarities.
- The Finalists (six Entrants selected by the Lexus Design Award 2020 Judges) acknowledge that they are creators of prototypes and that The Organizer will appoint mentors to support the Finalists in the production process to complete the prototypes. In the display and promotion of any prototype or any other related work submitted to Lexus Design Award 2020, The Organizer reserves the right to disclose the names of the mentors and describe other details of the production process.
- By submitting a prototype to Lexus Design Award 2020, the Entrant grants The Organizer the right of first refusal to the exclusive use of the work for commercial purposes for 12 months after the end of the competition. This option conferred to The Organizer is valid for one year after Lexus Design Award 2020 concludes. If The Organizer elects to purchase the rights for commercial use, a private agreement will be made between The Organizer and the Entrant for the transfer of intellectual property rights.
6. Representations, Warranties and Indemnity
- The Entrant affirms that he or she has read, understands and will abide by the Official Rules of Lexus Design Award 2020.
- The Entrant certifies that each submitted entry and all materials contained therein (the “Work”) are (with the exception of materials within the public domain) the Entrant’s wholly original creations and are not imitations of anyone else’s work; the Work does not infringe or violate any personal or property rights, including, but not limited to defamation, privacy, false light, moral right, copyright, trademark of any person or entity, and the use thereof will result in no third party liability or obligations; and further, the Work is not the subject of any threatened or pending litigation, or claim dispute that might give rise to litigation that might undermine the rights to the Work or adversely affect the value of the work.
- The Entrant affirms that he or she has the right to participate in Lexus Design Award 2020 and to abide by the Official Rules and that the consent of no other party is required to grant those rights.
- Each Entrant asserts and certifies that he or she has not granted, assigned or otherwise hypothecated any of his or her Entries to any other third party.
- The Entrant certifies that the use of any material submitted to Lexus Design Award 2020 by The Organizer or their affiliates will not violate any agreement into which the Entrant has entered.
- The Entrant agrees to indemnify and hold blameless The Organizer, Toyota Motor Corporation, and their subsidiaries, affiliates, distributors, attorneys, and any of the agencies engaged to support the operation of Lexus Design Award 2020, and each of their respective directors and employees from any third party claim of any breach of any representation, warranty or covenant made by the Entrant in connection with his or her acceptance of the Official Rules or activities of Lexus Design Award 2020.
7. Judging, Finalist Selection, and Notification
The Organizer, at its sole discretion, will select for Lexus Design Award 2020 a panel of qualified judges, which will examine and score all eligible entries based on the criteria written below, and will thus determine a shortlist and 6 Finalists.
ANTICIPATE: Does the concept and design anticipate not only the needs of the user experience, but also the needs of society?
INNOVATE: Does the design demonstrate new thinking and originality both in the proposal and in the execution?
CAPTIVATE: Is the design intriguing and compelling when realized in concept and execution?
To select the 6 Finalists, the judges will apply the above criteria at their discretion and in whatever proportion they deem appropriate. The decisions of the judges are final and binding.
The 6 Finalists will be selected by mid-December 2019. Notification will take place by email. The Organizer reserves the right to extend the above deadline at its sole discretion.
In the event that the Organizer is unable to contact a Finalist due to inaccurate, changed, or incomplete contact information, any prizes will be forfeited and an alternate Finalist will be selected. Further, if any potential Finalist is found to be ineligible, or not to be in compliance with the Official Rules, he or she may be disqualified and an alternate Finalist may be selected. Neither the Organizer nor any of its affiliates shall be held liable for late, lost, misdirected, or unsuccessful efforts to notify a potential Finalist.
- Each of the 6 Finalists will receive an expenses-paid trip to New York to receive mentoring and advice from design professionals on how to progress in the development of a selected prototype.
The trip includes: One round-trip economy class plane ticket between a major airport near the Finalist’s home and New York, USA and accommodation up to four nights. The type of air ticket, including the carrier, and the place of accommodation will be selected at the sole discretion of the Organizer. In the case that a Finalist comprises a team of more than one person, the team should select one representative to travel to New York.
- The Organizer will contribute up to 3 million JPY for prototype production costs (inclusive of tax, promotional expenses, packaging and exhibition costs).
- Each of the 6 Finalists will receive an expenses-paid trip to Milan, Italy around Milan Design Week (April 20-26, 2020). Each Finalist will attend the Lexus Design Award 2020 Exhibition and Ceremony. The trip includes: One round-trip economy class plane ticket between a major airport near the Finalist’s home and Milan plus accommodation up to eleven nights. The type of air ticket, including the carrier, and the place of accommodation will be selected at the sole discretion of the Organizer. In the case that a Finalist comprises a team of more than one person, the team should select one representative to travel to Milan.
- Prizes are non-transferable and cash alternatives will not be offered. Airline tickets are non-refundable and non-transferable and may not be valid for upgrades and/or frequent flyer miles. Departure and return dates are subject to change at the sole discretion of The Organizer.
- The Organizer is not responsible for flight delays, or airline schedule or route changes. Obtaining the necessary travel documents, visas and other documentation is the sole responsibility of the Finalist.
9. General Conditions
- The Organizer and its affiliates are not responsible for any failure in the entry submission process, including but not limited to lost, misdirected or undelivered data as a result of email filtering or inadequate storage space to receive email; the submission of incomplete or inaccurate information; missed deadlines; or stolen data. Further, the Organizer and its affiliates are not responsible for any technical failure or disruption of network or communication services, computer hardware or software systems, or other errors or failures of any kind whether human, mechanical, electronic, printing or otherwise which may occur in connection with the administration and operation of Lexus Design Award 2020.
- The Organizer and its affiliates are not responsible for any inaccurate or misleading information related to Lexus Design Award 2020 which results from tampering or hacking with Lexus Design Award 2020 computers, websites, or any other electronic programs or systems, or printed material.
- The Organizer and its affiliates are not responsible for damage to any computer or mobile device used in connection to Lexus Design Award 2020, including but not limited to the downloading of materials from the Lexus Design Award 2020 website.
- In the event that the Lexus Design Award 2020 website or any other related electronic system is compromised by a virus, worm, bug, non-authorized human intervention or any other cause which disrupts or falsifies the submission of entries, or otherwise corrupts or impairs the administration, security, propriety or fairness of Lexus Design Award 2020, the Organizer reserves the right to suspend, revise or terminate Lexus Design Award 2020; and further if Lexus Design Award is thus terminated, the Organizer, at its sole discretion, may select Finalists from the other eligible entries.
- The Organizer reserves the right to disqualify any participants who tamper with or abuse any aspect of Lexus Design Award 2020 or the Lexus Design Award 2020 website, or engage in unfair play, or who violate any of the Official Rules, and to void all entries from the disqualified parties.
CAUTION: ANY EFFORT TO TAMPER WITH, DISABLE, OR HARM THE LEXUS DESIGN AWARD 2020 WEBSITE OR IMPAIR THE OPERATION OF LEXUS DESIGN AWARD 2020 IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS. SHOULD ANY SUCH ATTEMPTS BE MADE, THE VIOLATER WILL BE DISQUALIFIED FROM LEXUS DESIGN AWARD 2020 AND MAY BE LIABLE FOR DAMAGES (INCLUDING ATTORNEYS’ FEES) AND OTHER PENALTIES PERMITTED BY LAW.
- Entrants in Lexus Design Award 2020 agree to release and hold blameless The Organizer, Toyota Motor Corporation, and their subsidiaries, affiliates, distributors, attorneys, and any agencies contracted to support the operation of Lexus Design Award 2020, and each of their respective directors and employees (the “Released Parties”) from all liability, costs, losses, harm or injuries related to the entrant’s involvement in Lexus Design Award 2020, including, but not limited to, any work to develop prototypes, any work related to the submission of entries, and participation in any of the prizes.
- By participating in Lexus Design Award 2020, the Entrant acknowledges and agrees that the Released Parties may not be held responsible for any harm or injury to the entrant or any other person, or their equipment or other property, related to participation in Lexus Design Award 2020. Further, the Released Parties may not be held responsible from any claims of infringement of privacy or rights of publicity, or claims of defamation; or any claim of violation of intellectual property resulting from participation in Lexus Design Award 2020.
- The Released Parties may be not held responsible for any error in the printing, selection, operation or announcement of any activity related to Lexus Design Award 2020 or its prizes, whether the error be mechanical, electronic, typographical, human or otherwise.
- The Entrant understands and accepts that the Released Parties hold no authority over the personnel, facilities, equipment or operation of any of the transportation, travel, and accommodations companies involved in the prize portion of Lexus Design Award 2020 and are not responsible or liable for any injury, damage, costs or inconvenience that results from any accident, delay, or other mistake that may occur during any of the travel or other activities related to the prizes.
- Each Entrant agrees to release and indemnify the Released Parties from any liability resulting from his or her participation in Lexus Design Award 2020 and to waive all rights to bring any claim or legal action against the Released Parties.
- The Released Parties hold no responsibility for the actions of any participant in Lexus Design Award 2020, whether such actions involve an entrant’s attempt to evade any of the terms of the Official Rules, falsify entries, tamper with the integrity, security, and fair play of Lexus Design Award 2020, or any other action that could be construed as harmful to Lexus Design Award 2020 or its other participants.
11. Suspension, Modification, or Termination
In the event that Lexus Design Award 2020 cannot be continued due to the occurrence of a Force Majeure Event, which includes, but is not limited to, any of the following;
(1) act of God (such as, but not limited to, fires, explosions, earthquakes, drought, tidal waves and floods);
(2) war, hostilities (whether war be declared or not), invasion, act of foreign enemies, mobilization, requisition, or embargo;
(3) rebellion, revolution, insurrection, or military or usurped power, or civil war;
(4) contamination by radioactivity from any nuclear fuel, or from any nuclear waste, or other toxic explosion;
(5) riot, strikes, or civil disturbance
(6) acts or threats of terrorism
The Organizer has the right to modify, suspend or terminate Lexus Design Award 2020. Further, The Organizer reserves the right to modify, suspend or terminate Lexus Design Award 2020 should causes beyond its control corrupt or disrupt the administration, integrity, operation, security or fair play of Lexus Design Award 2020.
12. Governing Law / Limitation of Liability
In the event of any dispute arising from or in connection to Lexus Design Award 2020, the legal jurisdiction shall be Japan. On any matter relating to the validity, interpretation and enforceability of the Official Rules or the rights and responsibilities of The Organizer, the Entrants and the Released Parties will be governed by the internal laws of Japan without reference to principles of conflict of laws.
13. Finalists List
The names of the Finalists will be posted on the Lexus official website by the end of January 2020. The Organizer, at its sole discretion, reserves the right to extend the deadline.
- Award Force has the responsibility to ensure that each Entrant’s Personal Data is handled with due care and diligence.
- Although Japan is not recognized by the European Commission as providing adequate protection of personal data, Award Force is committed to handling each Entrant’s Personal Data in a manner consistent with high standards.
- Award Force will neither sell nor trade Entrants’ Personal Data nor infringe upon Entrants’ personal rights in any way.
- Award Force and its services can principally be used without the disclosure of Personal Data.
- By registering on Award Force, the Entrant understands that his or her Personal Data has been disclosed; however, the Personal Data will only be collected, transferred, processed and used for the purpose of making the services provided by Award Force available to the Entrant (particularly, to establish contact between the Entrant and the Organizer).
- In the event that the Entrant expressly consents to other uses of his or her Personal Data, the Personal Data may be transferred to and processed by third parties including each of their respective parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, distributors and others established in EEA and/or Japan.
- Each Entrant gives consent for the Organizer to obtain and deliver his or her name, address and other information to other entities related to Lexus Design Award 2020, including affiliates of the Organizer and other third parties, for the purpose of administering Lexus Design Award 2020 and to comply with applicable laws, regulations and rules. Further, the Entrant acknowledges that any information that he or she provides to the Organizer may be used to communicate with the Entrant in connection with Lexus Design Award 2020 and its prizes.
- The Organizer will not use the Entrant’s contact details for any other private or commercial purposes, including, but not limited to, unrequested and uninvited advertising other any other contact by email.
15. Changes to Personal Data
Entrants can update their personal data any time at https://lexusdesignaward.awardsplatform.com by the following steps: (1) Enter your username and password to log in; (2) click on your name in the top right corner; and (3) select ‘Profile’ to edit your data.
16. Validity of the Official Rules
All entries to Lexus Design Award 2020 must follow the technical, creative, and legal requirements disclosed on the Lexus Design Award 2020 website and in the Official Rules. Any entry that is late, illegible, incomplete, incomprehensible or otherwise not in compliance with the Official Rules may be disqualified at the Organizer’s sole discretion. For the purposes of this competition, an online entry is considered “received” when the Lexus Design Award 2020 website’s servers record the entry information.
In the event of any dispute regarding the identity of an entrant, the entry will be deemed submitted by the “account holder” of the e-mail from which the entry was sent (with the caveat that the owner of the account is eligible to participate in Lexus Design Award 2020). For the purposes of this competition, the “account holder” is the person assigned an e-mail address or username by the entity responsible for assigning the e-mail address (e.g., Google or Yahoo).
The Organizer and its affiliates which support the administration and operation of the Lexus Design Award 2020 are not responsible for lost, misdirected, tampered with, deleted, or invalid entries.
If any of the terms of the Official Rules is or becomes void, invalid or impracticable, in full or in part, the validity and practicability of all the remaining terms shall not be affected by this. The Organizer will replace the void, invalid or impracticable provision with the valid and practicable provision that most closely approximates the purpose of the invalid, partially invalid or impracticable provision.